archive-sg.com » SG » P » PMB.SG

Total: 149

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Date of Construction 1856 1862 Victoria Theatre 1903 1905 Vitoria Concert Hall Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 9 Empress Place Singapore 179556 Victoria Theatre 11 Empress Place Singapore 179558 Architect John Bennett Chief Engineer s Office Victoria Theatre R A J Bidwell Swan and McLaren Victoria Concert Hall The oldest part of this group of buildings is situated to nearest the Singapore River It was completed in 1862 and opened as the Town Hall In 1905 the Victoria Memorial Hall was completed next to the Town Hall but with a space between and simultaneously the Town Hall which already contained a theatrical

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=212 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Parliament House and Annex Building (now The Arts House) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Date of Construction 1826 1827 Main Building 1839 Annexe Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 10 Empress Place Singapore 179557 Control over the Straits Settlements was transferred from the India Office to the Colonial Office in 1867 As a Crown Colony the Straits Settlements then had its own Legislative Council before 1867 laws applicable to the Straits Settlements were passed in India For a long time the building in which the Legislative Council met was the new Court House identifiable as the core of the block

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=214 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Supreme Court « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Supreme Court Date of Construction 1937 1939 Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 1 St Andrew s Road Singapore 178957 Architect Frank Dorrington Ward Chief Architect Public Works Department The three British territories in the Straits of Malacca namely Penang Malacca and Singapore were formed into one administrative unit the Straits Settlements in 1826 The three territories shared one professional judge styled the Recorder who stayed at Penang but travelled on circuit to hear cases In 1856 a second Recorder was appointed to reside in Singapore The Straits Settlements was a dependency of the British Raj in India until 1867 when it was transferred to come under the Colonial Office in London becoming thereby becoming a Crown Colony With this transfer the Supreme Court in Singapore and the High Court in Penang came into being The history of the Supreme Court building should begin with the house that G D Coleman built for the merchant John Argyle Maxwell on the north bank of the Singapore River near the river mouth in what has been called the Mayfair district The government rented this house and the then Court of Justice was held in a central room upstairs the other rooms being used as government offices In 1839 a one storey building was added at the side of the Maxwell house and the Court was held in the annexe the Maxwell house being turned entirely into government offices Here it was disturbed by noises from the adjoining Hallpike s Boatyard but it had to bear with the problem until 1865 when a new Court House was built The new Court House is the central building in what later developed as the Government Offices at Empress Place The new Court House was used for only a few years when another court house removal was made The Court moved back to the Maxwell house which was extended by a wing to accommodate it in 1875 this explains the date on the Royal Arms over the Chief Justice s Chair You may still see this Royal Coat of Arms in the Court of Appeal in the present Supreme Court As to the annexe building at the Maxwell house it had been given over to the Post Office The new Court House which the Court vacated was used for the meetings of the Legislative Council formed since the Straits Settlements

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=216 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Empress Place Building (now Asian Civilisations Museum) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum Date of Construction 1864 1865 Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 1 Empress Place Singapore 179555 Architect Major J F A McNair Public Works Department The central part of this conglomerate of buildings is the oldest and was built in 1864 65 It then served as the new Court House New wings were added in later periods and the number of offices housed within included the Secretariat Audit Department Registry of Deeds Land Office Public Works Department Treasury and Stamp Office Education Department Medical

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=218 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • National Museum « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size National Museum Date of Construction 1886 1887 Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 93 Stamford Road Singapore 178897 Architect Lt Col H E McCallum Colonial Engineer and Surveyor General The museum started as an adjunct to a library and remained so for many years The Singapore Library was founded in 1844 and housed in the Singapore Institution on Beach Road In 1849 the library committee added a small museum to their reading room Two gold coins presented by the Temenggong of Johore formed the nucleus of the growing collection of exhibits The library and museum were moved to the Town Hall in 1862

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=220 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former St Joseph’s Institution (now Singapore Art Museum) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Date of Construction 1855 Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address 71 Bras Basah Road Singapore 189555 Architect Brother Lothaire St Joseph s Institution was founded in 1852 by six members of the De La Salle Brothers a French

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=222 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Attorney-General’s Chambers (now Parliament House Block C) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Date of Construction 1906 Facade Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address No 1 Parliament Place Singapore 178880 A colonial era government building that is part of the new Parliament House Complex the 19th century

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=224 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Sun Yat Sen Villa (now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Date of Construction c 1880s Date of Gazette 28 October 1994 Address 12 Tai Gin Road Singapore 327873 Built in 1900 by businessman Boey Chuan Poh this two storey villa was later bought by Teo Eng Hock a rubber magnate and supporter of the Chinese revolutionary movement led by Sun Yat Sen Teo had originally acquired the property for his mother and had named it Wan Qing Yuan meaning a haven of peace in one s later years He offered Sun Yat Sen use of the villa as a base when Sun visited Singapore in February 1906 to establish a branch of his alliance the Tongmeng Hui Sun visited the villa on subsequent trips to Singapore when undertaking fund raising activities in the years

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=226 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive