archive-sg.com » SG » P » PMB.SG

Total: 149

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Abdul Gafoor Mosque « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Gafoor Mosque Former Siong Lim Temple now Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery Raffles Hotel Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church Goodwood Park Hotel Tower Block Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Abdul Gafoor Mosque Date of Construction 1907 Date of Gazette 5 July 1979 Address 41 Dunlop Street Singapore 209369

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=196 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Siong Lim Temple (now Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Siong Lim Temple now Lian Shan Shuang Lin Monastery Date of Construction 1902 1908 Date of Gazette 14 October 1980 Address 184 Jalan Toa Payoh Singapore 319944 A wall plaque records that the temple was established during the reign of Emperor Kuang Hsu in the year 1904 The actual year of the temple s completion was 1908 Two Hokkien merchants Low Kim Pong and Yeo Poon Seng were the main donors to its construction giving half a million dollars between them A rare glimpse of Siong Lim in the old days is given in E G Semple s Singapore Religions published in 1927 Semple was a British army chaplain who gave extramural lectures in garrison churches on the religions of the different ethnic groups in Singapore These lectures were then published in a booklet by the Methodist Publishing House better known by the initials MPH Semple drew attention to the great Low Kim Pong temple an architectural jewel falling into decay amidst the dirt and cobweb of years The temple had clearly hit

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=198 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Raffles Hotel « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Raffles Hotel Date of Construction c 1840s Beach House 1893 Palm Court Wing 1897 1899 Main Building 1902 1904 Bras Basah Wing Date of Gazette 4 March 1987 Address 1 Beach Road Singapore 189673 The Armenian Sarkies brothers started this hotel in 1886 In 1889 they undertook major renovations to create the building which Ilsa Sharp in her

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=200 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Block Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church Date of Construction 1924 Date of Gazette 23 March 1989 Address 235 Telok Ayer Street Singapore 068656 Architect Swan and McLaren The origins of this church of the Hokkien Chinese may be traced to a rented shophouse

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=202 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Goodwood Park Hotel (Tower Block) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Goodwood Park Hotel Tower Block Date of Construction 1900 Date of Gazette 23 September 1989 Address 22 Scotts Road Singapore 228221 Architect R A J Bidwell Swan and McLaren It was built in 1900 as the Teutonia Club If it looks like a fairytale castle that is because the architects deliberately fashioned it after the castles on the Rhine The distinctive features of the building are in the South German Vernacular exemplified here in the large semicircular gable ends the surface ornamental relief and the enchanting tower with its pointed tiled roof The Teutonia Club held classical music concerts and snatches of Mozart

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=204 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House (now CHIJMES) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Date of Construction 1840 1841 Cadwell House 1902 1904 Chapel Date of Gazette 26 October 1990 Address 30 Victoria Street Singapore 187996 Architect G D Coleman Cadwell House Father Charles Benedict Nain Chapel Father Beurel the founder of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd and St Joseph s Institution also opened a convent school He bought a house opposite the cathedral which G D Coleman had built for H C Caldwell In this house in 1852 Father Beurel started a convent school for girls Mother St Mathilde and other nuns from France began the tradition of teaching and good works at this convent The Gothic Style chapel within the convent precincts was built in 1890 At this time too a Gothic arcade was built to link up various parts of the convent and it covered as

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=206 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Istana and Sri Temasek « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Istana and Sri Temasek Date of Construction 1869 Date of Gazette 1 October 1993 Address Orchard Road Singapore 238823 Architect Major J F A McNair Chief Engineer Public Works Department In 1867 the Straits Settlements with Singapore as the capital ceased to be a dependency of British India and became a Crown Colony The first colonial governor Sir Harry St George Ord commissioned the building of a Government House on land purchased from C R Prinsep s nutmeg estate Convict labour was put to build this mansion using bricks and plaster made by their own hands However the white marble for the vast entrance hall was imported from Java Completed in 1869 amidst controversy directed at the governor for his alleged extravagance one of the first guests at Government House Sir Henry Keppel described it as a palace Sir Frederick Weld and Lady Weld were the official occupants from 1880 1887 An account of how he liked it there was left during a lecture to the Royal Colonial Institute in London Nor must I forget Government House which stands on a hill in park like grounds behind and above the town an imposing

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=208 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • City Hall « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size City Hall Date of Construction 1926 1929 Date of Gazette 14 February 1992 Address St Andrew s Road Singapore 178958 Architect A Gordon and F D Meadows Municipal Council of Singapore Singapore was proclaimed a city in 1951 by a Royal Charter granted by King George VI It had come a long way as a town under a municipal government The Municipality began its life as a series of ad hoc committees formed by merchants to look after roads street lighting using coconut and animal oil police work and vehicular traffic It was not until 1856 that a proper Municipal Council was established The amenities it provided included water supply from reservoirs roads and bridges markets and street lighting with gas by 1864 and electricity by 1906 Since its establishment the Municipality

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=210 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive