archive-sg.com » SG » P » PMB.SG

Total: 149

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Armenian Church of St Gregory the Illuminator « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Armenian Church of St Gregory the Illuminator Date of Construction 1835 1836 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 60 Hill Street Singapore 179366 Architect George Drumgoole Coleman A handful of Armenians were associated with Singapore from the start of the settlement Catchick Moses for example arrived in 1820 and lived to the age of 80 Their church is the oldest one in Singapore It was built by G D Coleman in 1835 36 Originally it had a domed roof and a bell turret In 1853 both features were removed and a pitched roof and a tower

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=154 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • St Andrew’s Cathedral « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size St Andrew s Cathedral Date of Construction 1856 1864 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 11 St Andrew s Road Singapore 178959 Architect Col Ronald MacPherson Government Engineer Public Works Department The cathedral stands nobly spired and white on a green swathe beside the Esplanade Grey was the original colour of the exterior of the cathedral the glacial white was put on after the Second World War and continues to be applied to this day There was an earlier church on this site the St Andrew s Church built in 1835 36 The architect was the talented G D Coleman For labour he used Indian convicts transported to Singapore which was a penal settlement of the British Raj in India The tower and spire were later additions but John Turnbull Thomson the government surveyor who built them did not install lightning conductors with the result that the spire was twice struck by lightning in 1845 and 1849 In 1852 the church building was considered dangerous and was then demolished On the same spot government engineers built the St Andrew s Cathedral between 1856 and 1864 The labourers were again Indian convicts The church once had a bell with quite a history The first American Consul in Singapore Joseph Balestier married Maria Revere the daughter of Paul Revere lantern signaller and midnight rider hero of the American Revolution In 1843 Maria Revere presented the St Andrew s Church with a half ton bell made in

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=158 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Thian Hock Keng « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Thian Hock Keng Date of Construction 1839 1842 Thian Hock Keng 1849 Chung Wen Pagoda 1913 Chong Hock Pavilion Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 158 Telok Ayer Street Singapore 068613 Situated at the site of a joss house where immigrants from China to Singapore offered thanks for a safe voyage the temple was built between 1839 1842 Historical data relating to the founding

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=169 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Former Telok Ayer Market (now Lau Pa Sat) « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Former Telok Ayer Market now Lau Pa Sat Date of Construction 1890 1894 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 18 Raffles Quay Singapore 048582 Architect James MacRitchie Municipal Engineer Public Works Department Engineer Builder Riley Hargreaves and Co The first market in Singapore was located on the south bank of the Singapore River The land there was soon required for commercial use and Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles ordered the market to be moved to Telok Ayer This area was then along the seafront and a market on piles over the sea was built by 1824 In the 1830s there was a need for a bigger market G D Coleman won the

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=166 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Sri Mariamman Temple « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Sri Mariamman Temple Date of Construction 1843 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 244 South Bridge Road Singapore 058793 Naraina Pillay came to Singapore from Penang in the company of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles during the latter s second visit to Singapore in May 1819 Pillay set up his business but soon lost it in a fire With a little help from Raffles he was back on his feet again and was one of the first traders to move into Commercial Square later to be

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=172 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Hajjah Fatimah Mosque « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Hajjah Fatimah Mosque Date of Construction 1845 1846 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address 4001 Beach Road Singapore 199584 The founder of the mosque was Hajjah Fatimah a Malacca Malay lady who married a Bugis merchant trading out of Singapore T H H Hancock and C A Gibson Hill have given the best account of how she came to set up the mosque Her husband died while she was still a young woman and she carried on business herself most successfully amassing a considerable fortune Her residence was on the site of the mosque In the late 1830s it was twice ransacked by thieves and on the second occasion they set fire to the house Hajjah Fatimah was away at the time and on her return she donated the land and money for the establishment of the mosque

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=174 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cathedral of the Good Shepherd « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Hotel Tower Block Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Cathedral of the Good Shepherd Date of Construction 1846 Date of Gazette 28 June 1973 Address A Queen Street Singapore 188533 Architect Denis Lesley McSwiney French and Portuguese priests contended for the honour of evangelizing and pastoring in Singapore Their

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=176 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Nagore Dargah Indian Muslim Heritage Centre « Preservation Of Monuments Board
    Monastery Raffles Hotel Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church Goodwood Park Hotel Tower Block Former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Chapel and Caldwell House now CHIJMES Istana and Sri Temasek City Hall Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall Former Parliament House and Annex Building now The Arts House Former Supreme Court Former Empress Place Building now Asian Civilisations Museum National Museum Former St Joseph s Institution now Singapore Art Museum Former Attorney General s Chambers now Parliament House Block C Former Sun Yat Sen Villa now Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall Yueh Hai Ching Temple Maghain Aboth Synagogue Former Ministry of Labour Building now Subordinate Courts Former Tao Nan School now The Peranakan Museum Chesed El Synagogue Former Hill Street Police Station now Old Hill Street Police Station Ying Fo Fui Kun Central Fire Station Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building Memorial and Arch Chinese High School Clock Tower Building Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church Tan Teck Guan Building College of Medicine Building Former Admiralty House Former Cathay Building now The Cathay Church of Sts Peter and Paul MacDonald House St Joseph s Church Church of Our Lady of Lourdes Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Tou Mu Kung Temple Former Ford Factory now Memories at Old Ford Factory Command House Former St James Power Station Bowyer Block Former Raffles College now NUS Campus at Bukit Timah Former Keng Teck Whay now Singapore Yu Huang Gong Temple of Heavenly Jade Emperor Church of St Teresa Former Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House now Singapore Conference Hall Esplanade Park Memorials Former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station Text size Nagore Dargah Indian Muslim Heritage Centre Date of Construction 1827 1830 Date of Gazette 19 November 1974 Address 140 Telok Ayer Street Singapore 068604 This shrine built between 1827 1830

    Original URL path: http://www.pmb.sg/?page_id=178 (2012-12-22)
    Open archived version from archive